Andrea Dovizioso finished in eighth place at Sunday’s Emilia Romagna GP to retain his 2020 MotoGP World Championship lead as Pol Espargaró secured a podium and Álex Márquez his best ever finish in the elite class. Here is all you need to know:
– Spaniard Maverick Viñales started on pole with Australian Jack Miller in second, however it was Italian Pecco Bagnaia who took the lead on lap six.
– Bagnaia slid out, though, with seven laps remaining to gift Viñales victory with fellow Spaniard Joan Mir second and Espargaró third for Red Bull KTM Factory Racing.
– Portuguese Miguel Oliveira finished fifth for Red Bull KTM Tech 3 with Japan’s Takaaki Nakagami sixth and rookie Márquez a best ever seventh for Repsol Honda.
– Italian Dovizioso’s eighth means he retains a precious one-point lead over Frenchman Fabio Quartararo and Yamaha’s Viñales heading to the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya next week.
– France’s Johann Zarco ended in 11th, however Spanish rookie Iker Lecuona, Miller and South African Brad Binder all failed to finish as reigning champion Marc Márquez sat out injured again.
Emilia Romagna GP result
1. Maverick Viñales SPA Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP 41m55.846s
2. Joan Mir SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR +2.425s
3. Pol Espargaró SPA Red Bull KTM Factory Racing +4.528s
4. Fabio Quartararo FRA Petronas Yamaha SRT +6.419s
5. Miguel Oliveira POR Red Bull KTM Tech 3 +7.368s
2020 MotoGP rider standings
1. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati 84 points
2. Fabio Quartararo FRA Yamaha 83
3. Maverick Viñales SPA Yamaha 83
By: Red Bull Pool