South African township event sees 10 battle it out at top-secret location.
King Katra defeated Eddie Rasta in a tyre-screeching final to win the second Red Bull Shay’ iMoto title in near darkness at a top-secret location in Johannesburg, South Africa on Saturday. Here is all you need to know:
– Motorsport spinning is unique to the townships and, during the early 1990s, pioneers got together in Soweto and practiced outside the realm of the criminal world.
– They didn’t know what they were doing exactly (drag racing, drifting, stunts), but it centred on the classic BMW 325i – the Gusheshe – and being the best.
– From qualifying, which was contested via online voting and judges voting, the top eight spinners fought the next round which was broadcast live on Red Bull TV.
– Katra aka Katra Mokgoshi made his way to the final by beating defending champion Veejaro Hendricks in the quarter-finals and impressing the panel of top judges.
– For the semi-final and final, the panel was bolstered by the competitors who had been knocked out in the earlier rounds with Katra edging out rival Rasta.
– Polokwane native Katra said: “It feels so great to be in the number one position! I worked really hard. There were times where I didn’t have much faith in myself, but I knew I had all the people at home backing me. I knew I had to push and make sure I made them proud.”
– Legend Magesh Ndaba, who was also a judge at the event, showed off his skills in the new BMW M2 with top tier donuts around the BMW M-Town obstacle course.